Event on The Blog

None at the moment!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Orange Girl by Jostein Gaarder


This review is part of Loving the Review Challenge hosted by Brandi of Blkosiner's Book Blog and Sniffly Kitty of Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books. Basically all I need to do it post my review with the banner and link it to Siffly Kitty or Brandi's blog.

Title: Orange Girl

Author: Jostein Gaarder

Publisher: Orion Publishing

Rate: 4 and a half stars

“My father died eleven years ago. I was only four then,
I never thought I’d hear from him again, but now we’re
writing a book together.”


To Georg Røed, his father is no more than a shadow, a distant memory. But then one day his grandmother discovers some papers stuffed into the lining of an old red pushchair. The pages are a letter to Georg, written just before his father died, and a story, The Orange Girl. But The Orange Girl is no ordinary story – it is a riddle from the past centering around an incident in his father’s youth. One day he boarded a tram and was captivated by a beautiful girl standing in the aisle, clutching a huge paper bag of luscious-looking oranges. Suddenly the tram gave a jolt and he stumbled forward, sending the oranges flying in all directions. Since that day, his father became obsessed with finding the identity of the Orange Girl, and now, from beyond the grave he is asking his son to help him solve the puzzle...

Few days ago Kay-c asked me what book should she read if she wants to start reading philosophy book. I immediately said' Jostein Gaarder's!'. Jostein Gaarder was the reason why I read philosophy book in the first place. I read Sophie's World years ago and I was hooked! So I started reading his other books. Orange Girl isn't my favorite Gaarder but that doesn't mean this book isn't worthy of your time. On the contrary, I think this is one of the must-read book; especially if you're taking interesting in philosophy. In my opinion every book that made you thought about the meaning of your life was in some way engaging you in philosophical thinking; and this book is one of those books. However unlike Sophie's World, philosophy in this book was presented subtly and you barely realize it. That's why I consider this as a very good start if you want to read philosophy novels.

The character, Georg, was cute and very smart. Most of Gaarder's books feature kids as his main character and he's good at creating believable characters. The plot was a bit slow in the beginning but as you progress in reading you will discover many interesting things; beautiful things and sad things. I was completely blown away by the ending, it was so sad but it make sense to me, it kinda complete my imagination of Georg's father and it didn't disappoint me at all. I think this story will capture the heart of everyone who experienced the lost of a beloved person.

Lynossa
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Vicky said...

I heard about Sophie's World last year & immediately knew I had to read it! And I loved it! But I had NO idea he had other book! Ahhhh it sounds amazing! I need to get it NOW! You've just made me the happiest girl on earth!

BLHmistress said...

I hadn't heard of this book but it sounds really good. Not normal type of book but I have been looking for other things to read.

Llehn said...

It's nice to hear that a slow start pays off with a great ending. Thanks for the review.

Tarissa said...

Wow, this sounds like a great book! You did a good job writing the review too.

Lynossa (Deranged Book Lovers) said...

@Vicky, have you read Solitaire Mystery? That's one of my favorite Gaarder's!
@BHLmistress, you should try it! It's pretty thin; you'll finish in no time.
@Lhehn & Tarissa thank you ^^

Nina B. said...

You know you're right! Philosophy = Jostein Gaarder. When we were studying it in college, my professor did not even ask us to get any of those Philo textbooks, just asked us to get a copy of Sophie's world. I have been hunting down all his other books ever since. Great review!

Brush Up On Your Reading

Post a Comment

How about virtual cupcakes in exchange for comments? (^_^)
Update: We're no longer accepting award. It was fun but we have no time to do it, thanks ~ *give cupcakes*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...