Event on The Blog

None at the moment!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Title: Wither

Author: Lauren DeStefano

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Rating: 4 stars

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.  


I must say when I started  reading this, I was skeptical. I read several highly anticipated YAs before this and disappointed when those books turned out not as good as I expected. But this one is different; I was glued to it from the start. I finish this book in 4-5 hours and now I'm wanting for more, I want to know what's going to happen to Rhine and whether she'll be free or not. 

I consider this as mini scale dystopian; not that the problem isn't big or something like that, but compare to The Hunger Games or Delirium where the main characters must fight against the government who rules basically everything, Rhine's enemy is his father-in-law in his 'mini-world'. Of course things might change in the next book but for now, that's how I see it. 

Even though I like Rhine, my favorite character is Jenna; I think I would react the same way as she did if I was in her shoes. If you got nothing to lose, nothing you loved anymore and the time bomb in your body is ticking faster, better end it the best way you could. At least, that's how I see it. The other characters are also interesting; I think the author did a good job in creating a believable characters. My main concern with first-person POV was subtle in this book because of it. 

There were some parts where I considered a bit out-of-logic, but not that much to annoy me and made me stop reading it. Rhine and Gabriel's connection is nice; not too overwhelming, simple and nice. Thus being said, I'm looking forward for the next book!

Lynossa
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Z. Taco said...

I've heard so many good things about Wither. I like how you categorized it as a "mini scale dystopian", and am glad to hear that the story and characters are believable. Looking forward to reading it!

Lisa said...

Great review. Looking forward to reading the next book! :) Hopefully we see more Rhine and Gabriel...

alovelywriterxo said...

-I have read loads of things about this book. Some good and some bad. I'm happy yours is a good one. I've been wanting to get my hands on this book, but I don't want to be disappointed. Thanks for your review!! :]

Post a Comment

How about virtual cupcakes in exchange for comments? (^_^)
Update: We're no longer accepting award. It was fun but we have no time to do it, thanks ~ *give cupcakes*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...