Event on The Blog

None at the moment!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey #1
Pages: 363 (Paperback)
(Goodreads)

Release date: February 1st 2010
Pubished by: Harlequin Teen

Summary:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Review:

I was never a fan of faeries until The Iron King. Faeries seemed overrated to me. Not that weres and vamps are not but still, they don’t appeal to me that much. But when I started reading The Iron King, I was immediately sucked into the world of faeries. I even kind of regretted it that I only took notice of faerie books now. They are such awesome amusing creatures. I totally admire their whole being.

The Iron King intertwines adventure, romance, mystery, friendship and more adventure. That, combined with an awesome writing style and superb characters is something all you, young adult fantasy book lovers MUST not miss. The first half of the book reminds me of Alice’s adventure in Wonderland with Grimalkin as the Cheshire Cat. But they’re not really alike. And The Iron King is packed with more breathtaking adventure, awesome characters and romance.

Also, this book is where I found a new love. Ash. Ash is this cool, calm and collected dark-haired, silver-eyed fey with a swoon-worthy small smile who is so cool, I fell in lust with him even before I read the book. Well, this, coming from a girl whose heart belongs to over 50 fictional guys ...and one cat. Because Grimalkin is the most awesome thing next to Ash in this book.

The third most awesome thing, of course, is Meghan. I'm somewhat in heart with her too in a BFF/sisterly sort of way. She's currently my most favorite female character. I can connect to her in so many ways. She's a strong-willed character. Impulsive, yes, like any other YA female MC. But there's something about her that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's what makes her different from any other characters.

And then Puck. Most Iron Fey fans like this guy. I like him too but his cockiness annoys me. Sometimes, he gets too cocky for his own good. I feel like wiping that stupid big sarcastic grin on his face. Though you can't also shake the fact that it's really funny whenever he gets on Ash's nerves.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

I really need to get on this bandwagon. Nice review :)

TG said...

I've had a copy of this since January and not read it yet - great review; you've convinced me to!

Post a Comment

How about virtual cupcakes in exchange for comments? (^_^)
Update: We're no longer accepting award. It was fun but we have no time to do it, thanks ~ *give cupcakes*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...