Event on The Blog

None at the moment!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Title: The Graveyard Book

Author: Neil Gaiman

Publisher: Harper Collins Children (US)

Rating: 4 Stars

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
The knife had a handle of polished black bone, and a blade finer and sharper than any razor. If it sliced you, you might not even know you had been cut, not immediately.

 Nobody Owens lived and grew up in the graveyard, raised by ghosts and well-guarded by mysterious man who belong to neither the world of living nor dead. Graveyard isn't a safe place; there are plenty dangers and adventures. But for Bod that is his beloved home, especially when outside the graveyard a dangerous man named Jack still looking for him, the same man that killed his family...

The excerpt was the opening passages from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Despite the horror opening, this is a children book. Gaiman is well-known for presenting horror into children situation without forgetting the innocent and the fun that became a signature in every children book. Similar to Coraline, this is a terrific story presented in a very delicate way that glued my eyes to those pages. This is one of the books I read over and over again without getting bored. I like everything about this book; I like how it was written, I like the characters, I like the cover, and I like the illustrations (I read the hardcover version).
The main character Bod was believable; even though he grew up in Graveyard. He experienced all the things just the same as any other kids; having friends, play hide-and-seek (sometimes inside a tomb), and dealing with bullies. But he was special also; not only he could see and talk to the ghosts, he has the ability to fade so people couldn't see it, and plant nightmares into people's mind. Other characters such as Silas, Bod's ghost parents, and Jack the Man were also believable. Gaiman didn't explain them in long detailed paragraph but I could picture them quite easily. Some authors can be over the top with character description but lack in describing ambiance and surrounding situation, that's now what happened with this book. Every little thing about this book makes me love it and I hope Mr. Gaiman will write another adventures of Nobody Owens!

Lynossa
Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I loved this book. I listened to it on CD and liked it even better that way. The ending was so bittersweet, but appropriate. I loved Silas. It was very creepy...very Neil Gaiman.

Aleetha said...

They have published some books of Neil Gaiman here but not yet with this book.

Cant hardly wait

Lynossa (Deranged Book Lovers) said...

Ooooh, I wonder how it sound in the Macabre chapter. It must be interesting.

@Aleetha, unfortunately there are plenty Gaiman's books that haven't been published in Indonesia. Have you read Neverwhere? It's one of my favorite Gaiman's

Aleetha said...

I have the copy of Neverwhere.
But I plan to read in 2011. :D

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

happy holidays!

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

Whoops wrong comment box...lol..I'm glad to hear this book is good. I have it sitting on my shelf.

Orhedea said...

Love this book. Especially the fact that it starts with a knife and resides in the children's section...

Lynossa (Deranged Book Lovers) said...

AngelicNytmare, you should read it. It's very good.

@Orhedea, it's kinda hard to combine those two elements, Gaiman is one of few who manages to do that.

Post a Comment

How about virtual cupcakes in exchange for comments? (^_^)
Update: We're no longer accepting award. It was fun but we have no time to do it, thanks ~ *give cupcakes*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...